Re: URGENT: warning!

At 21:21 -0400 1999-05-03, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
If you haven't upgraded in a while, I very strongly recommend that you
run:

$ apt-get install libc6

Not a dselect upgrade doing multiple things at once - JUST libc6.
Somewhere in the past few versions we changed our minds about
__register_frame_info again, and when that happened, libraries began
depending on the new libc6.  I'd really like to know if anyone knows
when/how this happened.  It's certainly a problem from 2.1-3 to
2.1.1-0pre1.3.

It's egcs, this bit sparc too. egcs 1.1.2 has a weak symbols in libgcc patch, this makes __*register_frame_info weak symbols. Debian/sparc has backed this out of their egcs.

Jeff Law has suggested on the egcs list that he believes that patch was a bad idea, even going so far as to consider a 1.1.3 release just to back it out.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>