Re: installing Debian on iMac

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 05:07:18PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bad iDea ... I assume it is recommended to
> install LinuxPPC first? Is the iMac network chip supported by the
> LinuxPPC kernel?

Installing LinuxPPC first is iffy; the transition is a little tricky,
but since we don't have a working installer, you may not have a choice.
You might be able to get by with the tools on the LinuxPPC rescue disk
and a base tarball on a normal HFS partition...

If you are going to install LinuxPPC first, I recommend making two ext2
partitions, putting linuxppc on one, putting debian on the other, and
then optionally wiping the first to be a data partition.

> Thanks, Matthias
>
> Another question: Currenty there are two HFS+ partitions on the
> disk. Is there a way to keep the first partition and delete the second
> partition? As I understand pdisk only recognizes HFS partitions.

More to the point, as of now the kernel only recognizes HFS partitions.
Any good drive partitioning software should let you delete one.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |