Re: installing debian ppc

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> > We'd do this via disk images, the same way the m68k people make Mac
> > boot disks.
> Correct, but how put you this image on floppy (on pmac and macos)? It is an
> image, so you can't do 'cp rescue-1440 floppy:'  it must be in rawmode or
> with dd.

  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this should be dead easy. We give users a
vmlinux.coff and root.bin file, they put them on disks and set boot-device
to fd:vmlinux.coff, boot-file to ' initrd=root.bin'. Is there anything wrong
with this process? They would need OF Boot Variables for macos, of course.
If we feel like it, we could distribute the files as HFS diskcopy/shrinkwrap
-style disk images.
  The only problem I can think of is what to do with non-macos users. What
other operating systems might people be running? Do all PPC machines that we
support use OF and have HFS support within it? We may have to make different
images for them, but that should not be hard.
  If someone wants, I could go ahead and make the HFS images w/ shrinkwrap.

Peter

--
Peter Abrahamsen
p1rabbit@halcyon.com