Re: NEWS for debian-boot

Brad Midgley wrote:

> michael,
>
> (i trimmed the cc:)

I added Chris back in; he's the one with the CD writer :-)

> i have done a ton of work using mkhybrid for turbolinux. it's a great
> tool. (we wanted a hybrid so files could have long names, mac files
> wouldn't have to be unstuffed before being used, and so mach could load
> the linux server from the hfs side...)
>
> you will have to represent some files twice--once as MacBinary or BinHex
> and another time unstuffed. unstuff things under macos to a floppy and
> mount the floppy -o fork=netatalk,afpd to see the files. copy them
> carefully (don't forget the .AppleDouble dirs) INTO your ext2-based
> working filesystem and then make your image. i use

I already have them as MacBinary or BinHex and can make a floppy image
for use by hfsutils or for Chris to dump to floppy. My problem on m68k
Macs is that I don't have a floppy driver. Will 1440k floppy work for you,
Chris?

If we need to bypass the floppy step, I'll have to figure out how to extract
the stuff from the HFS floppy image otherwise. It seems the command

mount -t hfs -o loop,fork=netatalk,afpd <hfs image> <mountpoint>

works just as well. A cp -ar copies the stuff over to the ext2 fs OK. The
HFS floppy image is part of the distribution. Can we just copy over parts of
the floppy contents (data and resource fork of selected files) or does it
only woek with the complete contents?

> mkhybrid -map /mnt/extra/hybrid/misc/src/mapping --netatalk -a -j -hfs -r
> -V "TurboLinuxPPC" -o /mnt/image/hybrid.img /mnt/extra/hybrid
>
> to make the image; mapping contains:
>
> #exten  xlate   creator type    comment
> .hqx    Ascii   'BnHq'  'TEXT'  "BinHex file"
> .mov    Raw     'TVOD'  'MooV'  "QuickTime Movie"
> .rpm    Raw     'RHat'  'bina'  "RedHat package"
> *       Ascii   'ttxt'  'TEXT'  "Text file"
>
> (the last line is the important one)
>
> hope that helps.

It sure does, thanks a lot. We'll adapt the mapping to suit our needs :-)
I'll add that information as a comment to the boot-floppies Makefile
so I don't lose it...

Thanks again,

	Michael