Re: glib 1.1.12, gtk1.1.12 for debian/ppc

On Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 01:17:39AM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> well, maybe you are right, but I found out that it is part of the problem.
> Removing it removed the bug. And as you can see I have chopped off 99% of
> the code. I could not remove anything more, because whatever I did fixed
> the bug.

OK, we have testcase.

> > Notice on the third line of the insn dump, the (const_int 65536).  I am
> > fairly sure that that is the invalid part.
>
> You are probably right about that, because it appeared in every failed
> compile -and not all were exactly the same.

If I'm not mistaken that wants a 16-bit number.  65536 is 17 bit.  It's
a pretty common problem lately, I think.

> > Look up in the info pages the various options for the optimizer.  Try
> > things like -O2 -fno-gcse and -O2 -fno-schedule-insns2.  See which one
> > makes it go away, if any do.  Then try -O -fschedule-insns2, etc.
>
> Here's the output with -O2 :
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=g_log_domain_glib  -O2 \
> -Wall -D_REENTRANT -c testglib.c
>
>   testglib.c:61: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
>
> now the same but -O2 -fno-schedule-insns2
>
>   testglib.c:61: internal error--unrecognizable insn:
>
> compiling with -O -fschedule-insns2 seemed to solve it.

OK, it's not schedule-insns2 then.  Try a few others if you can find
them in the docs.

> how's 62 lines? :) look at the attachment. Well, I must say, that I can
> not proceed further from here, because I would need to get dirty with
> assembly code and I am no expert in ppc, assembly (I did some z80 assembly
> back in spectrum days, but today it's a whole lot different).

62 lines is great.  But, can you grab the bare minimum of the necessary
definitions from glib.h and remove the #include?  Then it will be self
contained.

I think I can remove a little more, also.  I'll try it after this game
finishes.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |