Re: VFS: Unable to mount...

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 01:02:11PM -0500, kolbo wrote:
> 5.next...quik -r /debian (*got warning, bootable partition before /dev/sda6)
>
> 6.i rebooted the system into macos, and tried using bootvars to boot...i set my
> boot dev to scsi-int/sda6...needless to say, it didn't boot (*note that i'm no
> openfirware wiz).

Try scsi-int/sd@0:0.  I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with two
bootable partitions on one drive - it was causing me some problems...

> 7.so, i proceeded to get the recommended RAMDISK. then i tried using BootX.
> linux started to boot, but i got a kernel panic:
>     (Everything looks normal to here...)
>     Partition check:
>         sda: sda1 sda2 sda4 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7
>         sda:scsidisk I/O error dev08:10, sector0 unable to read partition table
>     RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block0
>     VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
>     VFS: Cannot open root device 00:06
>     Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:06
>     Rebooting in 180 seconds...

I'm confused.  It mounted root and then complained that it couldn't
mount root?  I've never tried to use BootX with a ramdisk, though.

Try this: delete /debian/sbin/unconfigured.sh if you haven't already,
and then use BootX to boot with root=/dev/sda6.  You'll run into a few
little problems, possibly, because the system hasn't been configured
yet; but then again, the installer doesn't work so hot, anyway...

Dan