sudo oddity

after installing the latest sudo and adding a user to sudoers with
which to test it, i encountered something strange -- namely,
immediately after i issued a command (for example, 'sudo ls') sudo
would print its ethics banner, and proceed to convince itself that i
had -- without typing a thing -- failed to enter a valid password
three times. hence it's pretty useless. i checked that my sudoers file
was correctly configured, diddled with pam, added myself to the sudo
group, all met with no success. except for the latter: adding myself
to the sudo group bent sudo to my will, but so much so that it didn't
bother asking for a password, which for my purposes doesn't fit the
bill.

kernel 2.1.127
libc6 2.0.100-2
sudo 1.5.6p5-1

all packages on my system were sucked down from ftp.debian.org circa 2
AM EST, so they're about as fresh as can be.

--chris