Re: chown()/lchown() war ...

LUTHER Sven <LUTHERSV@e-i.com> writes:

> Hello,
> > Sven LUTHER <LUTHERSV@e-i.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hello
> >
> > > is dpkg --root=newroot --force-depends -i packages.deb correct ?
> >
> > Well, better leave out the force-depends.
> >
> How do i explain to dpkg that some packages don't exist yet ? in particular
> libc depends on ld.so who is not supposed to exist (or perhaps that is not
> true i don't remember well) or libc-kheaders ?

The ld.so doesn't exist (its part of glibc), but the ldso.deb still
exists (But has to be build without ld.so).

> > You also need a workaround for the --root. I will assume the the
> > newroot is on /mnt/newroot:
> >
> > mkdir /mnt/newroot/mnt
> > ln -s / /mnt/newroot/mnt/newroot
> >
> > Now dpkg --root=/mnt/newroot should work.
> >
> ?????? That seems a dirty trick, it is not the behavior i will have expected
> from dpkg.

Yep, Bugs are normaly unexpected. :)
dpkg does a chroot to the root enviroment, but it still calls the
preinstall scripts with the path to the root enviroment in front of
it. The link will translate that extra root enviroment to / and then
it works.

> > > Also what is the status on ldso.deb ? apart from e2fslib and mount it is
> >
> > Take the patches from the bug system and compile one. That worked for
> > me.
> >
> Hartmut Koptein told me there is not supposed to be a ldso.deb on
> debian/slink/ppc. it is already part of libc6. Who do i believe ? Also i am

The patch compiles it without the ld.so, but with the other stuff
thats in the ldso.deb. ld.so, if I got that right, is just a link and
is integrated into libc, but theres other stuff to that package as
well.

> not sure i can compile things on apus, not enough disk space (:<) at least
> until i fix the scsi driver of the blizzard board.

I will bring in my ldso.deb next time I'm here. I had to strip my PC
of its ide drive (now it can't run dos anymore, i.e. no games) to have
enough space on my Amiga.

> > Also take a look at
> > ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/pub/Linux/linux-pmac/debian/mklinuxfs.tgz
> >
> > Thats actually a base.tgz for Debian. You can use that as a base
> > before updating to slink. That way you have all the needed files and
> >
> is it a slink debian ? if yes, ui have been waiting since i first got my
> blizzard board, if it is hamm based, it is nice, but somewhat useless
> because based on glibc 1.99 also the link gives me :

It is hamm based, but it contains the right dev and etc and so
on. Most important it has a dpkg database, from which you can
upgrade. Well, if you already have a hamm system you won't need it,
but in case your system gets broken, you can restart with that one.

> 550 /pub/Linux/linux-pmac/debian/mklinuxfs.tgz: No such file or directory.
>
> i will look arround a bit.

Sorry, its mklinuxfs.tar.gz.

> > devices and so. That together with what is in slink/base should be a
> > bootable/useable system (I only used it via changeroot so far, which
> > works). With my 2.0.32 kernel I have chown problems, but you might not
>
> What is changeroot ??? if it is what i think, it is quite nice.

Install your slink system to /mnt/newroot and then do "chroot
/mnt/newroot /bin/bash". Then any access to /xxx will go to
/mnt/newroot/xxx until that bash is closed. The bins will be loaded
from there, the libs, everything. There is no way to get below
/mnt/newroot and destroy anything. Its real nice for testing or for
security with ftp/www server (they use that too :).

> > have them with a different kernel or with the current glibc.
> >
> > May the Source be with you.
> > 			Mrvn
> >
> > PS: Can anyone point me to some powerpc kernel source? Whats the main
> > site for them?
>
> the vger cvs repository ?

Any ftp site of that?

> Friendly,