Re: chown()/lchown() war ...

> > i tried to install some debian-ppc/slink packages on an linux/apus
> > system where i had previously an mixed redhat/debian-hamm installed.
>
> Hmmm which libc version do you use? 1.99 ?  If so, you can't run slink
> binaries.

Should it not be possible to run an hamm/slink mixed system. I think
this
is the same as the libc5/libc6 situation on i386 an m68k. should the
hamm
libc6 not have been libc5 instead ?

> > I tried to install slink iun a separate partition, but dpkg was not
> > happy at all.
>
> Native dpkg for powerpc under glibc-2.1 makes trouble! We have a little
> workaround for this (thanks dan!).

Which is ?

> > Am i having problems caused by this glibc/kernel/dpkg incompatibility in
> > what concerns chown/lchown ?
>
> I've made the glibc. I've tested it with many kernel releases and i
> have no problems. Also tested it against redhat glibc-2.1 and vice versa
> with redhat bineries with slink packages. No problems of all!
>

> > I am using kernel 2.1.90 (or 99 i don't remember well), glibc 1.99.xx,
> > and the hamm dpkg. i try to install slink packages with that, but get
>
> hamm != slink  for compatibility!!!
>
> Do the jump to glibc-2.1 and you can use slink.

Funny, how do i install the slink libc packages without a working dpkg ?
i have
only a small hd (~100MB only and no compiler installed)

> > some problems, don't remember exactly the exact output of dpkg, will try
> > again this evening. Anyway, is it possible to 'cross'-install a slink
> > base archive (at least the compiled part) with an older dpkg ? what is
> > the exact procedure .
> >
> > is dpkg --root=newroot --force-depends -i packages.deb correct ?
>
> Should be possible. I've done it similary on a zip device. For a getty
> you can install the mingetty package.
>
> > Also what is the status on ldso.deb ? apart from e2fslib and mount it is
> > the only vital part missing from the base packages. It is possible to
> > use an static ldso with slink ? if yes, what version do i need ?
>
> powerpc doesn't have a /lib/ld-linux.so. The ld.so is a link to
> ld-2.0.94.so and this is in the glibc package.

a thanks, i didn't know that. it is part of libc6 then ? should we not
create a ldso package with this file for compatibility ? Would be nice
to have
a debian-powerpc faq or something like that, with infos of this kind.

> Any successful or unsuccessful report are welcome.

i will try again, i did not say that it don't work, just that i had
problems with it,
i think the lack of a base.tar.gz make the test procedure more
difficult.
i could then install an clean slink dist, and have no problem with old
glibc 1.99
parts yet lying around. Any release date for such a thing ? what is
hindering it ?
mount and the rest of th e2fs packages ?

Friendly

Sven LUTHER