Re: Unidentified subject!

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 12:53:55PM +0200, Swen wrote:
> > since i was not able to find a binary version of the glibc packages,
> > i tried to cross compile it, but egcs needs the target headers in order
> > to compile an cross compiler, and since i cannot just get the glibc
> > includes (gnu/stubd.h is a result of the glibc

Cross compiling glibc is probably a _very_ bad idea.  If you want to
compile it, install linuxppc (evil redhat based dist).

Heck even compiling it is iffy enough.

> I've only just started trying to get Debian/PPC working locally, so take
> this with a grain of salt, but from what I gather the lack of binaries
> for glibc, and the lack of the approriate source to compile it are an
> oversight rather than a deliberate action.

Not so much an oversight as a problem.  The libc in that directory is
1.99, and while redhat manages to use it all right, it seems highly
unstable with debian-powerpc.  So we're using 2.1 prereleases (currently
2.0.94 from alpha.gnu.org is our best shot).

> > what is the status of debian-powerpc anyway ? are there still people
> > working on it ? how many people, is it no more useful to post to it
> > because nobody will reply ?
>
> As far as I understand it, the current version of glibc doesn't work
> on powerpc (or sparc?), and that's making things a touch difficult. :)

Oh, we're here all right.  The last glibc snapshot had problems on CHRP,
but I believe they've been corrected.  I'm setting up the dev tools on my
machine this week...we'll see.

Dan
drow@false.org