Re: Installation Questions and Boot Disks?

Hi Espy!

> I'm wondering what's the best way to "assimilate" a non-Debian installed
> system into a Debian one.
>
> I assume that I need to install a base system (either MkLinux or "normal"
> RedHat) and then get dpkg and dselect installed somehow.

I tried that one but it was very hard as the MkLinux/RedHat is heavily
screwed.  It took me several months (i couldn't afford working on it
every day though).

This time I tried a different way and I'm really impressed.  Klee
Dienes has created an mklinuxfs.tar.gz (look at his home directory
on masterr, and the /alien directory) which is some debian base for
powerpc.

After installing this one, configuring it and fixing permissions
it works.  Ask netgod, his auto-compiler is running as hell.

Hartmut Koptein <koptein@debian.org> seems to be working on it.

> I have noticed that the source for the RAM disk based RedHat installer is
> available at <ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/linux-pmac/install-source/>,
> perhaps that could be used as the basis for a Debian installer.

Yes, I've mirrored it here.

> I don't have any experience with building boot disks, but I am willing to
> help in whatever way I can.

I think this should not be too difficult as you can boot the machine
via floppy, so it should be possible to use the boot-floppies package
(but forget the syslinux stuff)

Please take a look at the system, I'll create the same account as
on master: powerpc.debian.org.

Regards

	Joey

--