Re: DVD

Krisztian Mark Szentes wrote:
On Wednesday 28 May 2003 20:17, Jule Slootbeek wrote:

I'm having trouble playing DVD's using xine, i havn't really set
anything up in /etc/fstab yet, but before i screw things up, i was just
wondering how to go about getting DVD's to work..linking, fstab, plugins

Do you have a G3 or a G4 ?
On my 700Mhz G3, I can't watch DVD's with xine, it's too slugish, althought it works OK with ogle or mplayer. It works better on G4 since you can use the altivec extensions.

If you're just looking for the easiest way to watch DVD's, just give ogle a try. It doesn't need any special setup apart from instaling the libcss to allow decryption, just look at

http://www.apt-get.org/

Marc

AFAIK you need a /dev/dvd device (on my machine it points to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 because I use devfsd).

Further, I have a /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
line in /etc/fstab

and you also need the libdvdread package which is not included in the Debian distribution (I guess due to DMCA provisions) to play encrypted DVDs. Maybe someone packages it for all the supported architectures - I might put it up for download then.

Salut

Mark