[Popcon-developers] popcon 1.56ubuntu1 report to Debian

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:

> Could you elaborate ? Since ubuntu use a different popcon version than Debian it is
> possible to discriminate the report. However the statistic machinery would need to be changed
> to take it into account.

In short, dpkg has the idea of a 'vendor' based on the information in
/etc/dpkg/origins/default. Derivatives are (or should be) placing
their own information in this file. If popcon were reporting the
vendor information, then we could aggregate the statistics based on
the vendor and know how many popcon submitters are Debian users and
how many are using derivatives like Ubuntu. Right now, we can only
differentiate Debian users from derivatives users if the derivatives
use an obvious version string.

Please see also the patch and thread I posted about derivatives:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/2012-October/002171.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/2012-October/002180.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/attachments/20121028/87a064fd/attachment.bin
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/attachments/20121026/01879ab6/attachment-0001.bin