[Popcon-developers] popcon for smolt quickhack

Dan Kegel wrote:
>> That's not status quo at all.
>
> I didn't say that's how they were written; that's how they should be written.

Right.  (I meant to object against standards that popcon itself doesn't
meet at the moment.)

>>  Dependencies only go away but writing all the wheels your own.
>
> Not necessarily.  You can statically link the app.   Then you can
> use third party libraries without screwing up the statistics.

Good point.  But if we used that idea and ship all not-there-everywhere
dependencies as part of the package we would run into other problems,
e.g. race on security updates.

>> The language we choose has little influence to that in my current
>> understanding.
>
> Not at all true.  Choosing language X means that language X
> will be included in the statistics.  C and sh are the only languages
> absolutely positively available on all systems without skewing
> statistics.

Right, our scenario is special.  (I meant to say that in general
dependencies are a language independent problem.)

Sebastian