[Popcon-developers] popcon for smolt quickhack

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 04:41:51PM +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Bill Allombert wrote:
> > If popcon is written in python, then the statistic for python became useless:
> > every users using popcon-python will report python as frequently used,
> > even if python is not used for anything else. This will also distort
> > statistics for python2.4, python2.5, python2.6 and all libraries used
> > by them. This is certainly significant.

(Please tell me who I am supposed to CC in the future)

> Doesn't the same apply to perl for the original popcon?

Much less: perl-base is 'Essential: yes', so it is installed on every system
anyway, and it only depends on libc6 and dpkg. /usr/bin/perl is part of
perl-base, not of perl, so the perl package is not touched when popcon is run.

But of course, a cross-distribution system should probably be written
in POSIX sh and C using only glibc.

> Also, why all of python2.4, python2.5, python2.6, not just one of them?

/usr/bin/python is a symlink to python2.4 on etch and to python2.5 on
lenny, so etch users of popcon-python would use python2.4 and lenny users
python2.5 so the number for python2.4 would be all the etch users+the number of
lenny users actually using python2.4. Idem for the dependencies of python2.4:
libbz2-1.0, libdb4.5, libncursesw5, libreadline5, libssl0.9.8, mime-support.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.