[Popcon-developers] How long should we keep old submissions?

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 05:31:44PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> I've been thinking about when we delete old submissions.  At the
> moment, we delete them if they are older than 20 days, and earlier we
> deleted them if they were older than 10 days.  On the other hand, the
> machines are supposed to submit new entries every 7 day.  I believe
> that is the reason the graphs vere moving up and down as they were
> when we deleted old entries after 10 days.

> So I am woundering, should the delete period be a multiple of the
> submit period?  7, 14, 21, 28 days?  I suspect this would give less
> wave pattern in the graphs.  If not, why not?

The goal of removing old entries is to get rid of report that are not
linked to any hosts anymore. In particular this help reducing abuse.
The delay is counted from the time is report is made on the client, not
on the reception date on the server.

The new setting we have agreed upon is of 20 days. This give 13 days for
the report and 6 days to the following report to reach the server. In
fact the third report might even reach the server in time. I believe it
is quite sufficient.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>