Re: RFC: No new Essential packages?

On Sat, Feb 01, 2020 at 11:59:34AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I've never liked the rule that you don't have to declare dependencies on
> essential packages and would love to phase it out as much as possible (I
> think even intermediate movement in that direction would be useful), but
> I'd like Guillem to weigh in from a dpkg perspective to indicate whether
> this makes sense to him and whether I'm missing something.

This rule is vital to allow for smooth transition when essential
programs are moved from one package to another.
This is also necessary to avoid circular-Predepends which are not
supported by dpkg.
e.g. glibc need to predepends on bash because it has a maintainer script
and bash need to depend on glibc.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>