Re: Proposal for next steps for systemd-related policy

Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> writes:

> Do you mean "systemd features", or do you mean system services more
> generally?

I'm hopeful that we can solve the more general problem, or at least make
forward progress on it, since as you mention we've had this problem for
years and have worked around it in various ways.  This is primarily
bringing an existing problem to the fore.

One of the open questions that I have, and that I think we'll need to talk
about, is what the UI should look like.  I think it should be possible to
install a package that depends on a system facility that isn't available,
but we need to somehow warn people that the thing they're trying to do
won't work as-is, and ideally figure out some way for reasonable things to
happen in chroots, containers, and other restricted environments.

Most of the ways that I can tentatively imagine we could approach this
problem would require changes to dpkg, apt, and aptitude; I don't think
package dependencies, even used creatively, will quite work here.