Re: Managing Frozen text when the TC Decides Policy

Hello,

On Sun 19 May 2019 at 09:14am -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     >> I think the policy editors could handle this by deciding amongst
>     >> themselves how they want to interact with the TC and then writing
>     >> a note to the TC along the following lines adapted based on what
>     >> the policy editors think the write answer is:
>
>     Sean> Thank you for taking the time to think about this carefully,
>     Sean> but I would like to suggest that we set is aside until and
>     Sean> unless we have a concrete situation in which the Policy
>     Sean> Editors feel that we can't make a change to the Policy Manual
>     Sean> because of a particular T.C. decision.
>
> Well, we have a situation now where a member of our community (Bill) is
> uncomfortable with the TC being asked to take on one of the tasks that
> our constitution lets the TC take on.
> I think that concern is something that we should address now since it
> has arisen.
>
> If you as policy editors think that you can reassure Bill and tell him
> that you believe you could work with the TC were that situation to come
> up, then I think you could adress Bill's concern now without addressing
> specifics.
>
> Right now we have a situation where someone is concerned that one part
> of Debian could not work with another.
> I'd like to get that cleared up.  If the policy editors are confident
> that they can defer things, I think that would be a fine solution.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to reply to this sooner.

I feel able to reassure everyone that, indeed, the Policy Editors would
be able to work with the T.C. to avoid the sort of situation Bill is
worried about.

When I took on the role of Policy Editor I subscribed myself to the
T.C.'s mailing list.  I consider it part of the role to keep abreast of
their activities.  In light of the present thread, I'll keep in mind the
need to flag to the T.C. places where decisions they are about to take
might have an impact on the practicalities of the Policy Changes
Process, such as the issue of frozen text.

--
Sean Whitton