Re: debhelper: Please default Rules-Require-Root to no

Hello,

On Fri 24 May 2019 at 01:42PM +09, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> > In summary: The debhelper fundamentally cannot affect whether
>> > Rules-Requires-Root: no is default or not.  The debhelper compat level
>> > system is the wrong interface to do this as well.
>> >
>> > That said, in a distant future, I hope we can flip the default of
>> > Rules-Requires-Root.  But when that comes, it will not be via a
>> > debhelper compat level AFAICT.
>
>  If we want to implement "Rules-Requires-Root: no" mandatory,
>  is it dpkg-dev and policy issue?

Requiring maintainers to put `Rules-Requires-Root: no` in every single
d/control file would be a debian-policy bug, yes.

Changing debhelper's default, if that remainder overrideable by the
maintainer, would not be.

(surely we are a very long way from r-r-r: no for every package?)

--
Sean Whitton