Re: Managing Frozen text when the TC Decides Policy

Hello Sam,

On Sat 11 May 2019 at 01:24PM -04, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I agree that it would generally be unfortunate if we had policy text
> that could not be changed by the policy process.  I can see rare
> situations where it might happen: we might have legal advice requiring
> specific text be included in packages under certain circumstances.  And
> in such a situation it might well be that we'd expect the policy editors
> to go back and check with lawyers before changing that frozen text.

We actually already have this situation with several bits of text that
the Policy Editors don't consider ourselves able to edit without
ftpmaster approval.  See, for example, #904729 and #912581.

> I think the policy editors could handle this by deciding amongst
> themselves how they want to interact with the TC and then writing a note
> to the TC along the following lines adapted based on what the policy
> editors think the write answer is:

Thank you for taking the time to think about this carefully, but I would
like to suggest that we set is aside until and unless we have a concrete
situation in which the Policy Editors feel that we can't make a change
to the Policy Manual because of a particular T.C. decision.

It's very complicated and time-consuming to discuss in the abstract, and
it has not actually been a problem in at least the last two to three
years.

--
Sean Whitton