Re: missing recommends are not RC severity

Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 08:34:57PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm quite sure from past discussion that we want to be sure packages don't
>> Recommend contrib or non-free packages, and don't want to re-open that.
>> But that's not quite the same thing as a package that (possibly
>> temporarily) isn't available in that release, and I feel like we should
>> make a separate determination whether that's supposed to be an RC bug.

> The most weird part of not treating this as RC is that this alone
> is sufficient for a direct reject in NEW:
>   https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

I believe this has the same problem: the context of that entry is about
main vs. contrib, not a Recommends of a package that was removed from
testing but is otherwise a package in main.

My instinct is to say that we don't want to release Debian with a package
that Recommends a package that isn't part of that release.  However,
unlike with Depends, I can't back this up by pointing to something
specific that breaks, and I'm not 100% sure that hard line makes sense in
all cases.  For instance, if the package missed the release for reasons
entirely unrelated to licensing but then ends up in backports, that
Recommends does serve some real technical purpose that isn't prima facie
wrong.

Before making a decision here, I'd like to know why the release team does
*not* consider it an RC bug and what the reasoning is.  It might be very
good reasoning!  Or it could just be an oversight.