Re: Automatic downloading of non-free software by stuff in main

Ian Jackson wrote:
> If there is a core implementation needed (eg a library which parses a
> standard config location or soemthing), I expect to to write it.

I sincerely hope we can avoid needing to develop some new infrastructure
or library here, since any such mechanism would almost certainly involve
a pile of Debian-specific patches to incorporate the use of that.

As an example for what I think we *should* be doing: if there are
package managers packaged in Debian, we should encourage the upstreams
of those package managers to make sure packages have appropriate license
metadata. Or if there are browsers in Debian that download and install
proprietary plugins without prompting the user, we should work with
upstream to get them to stop doing that, and only patch them downstream
if upstream completely rejects even having configuration to avoid that.