Re: Typos in Developer's Reference

Hello Paul,

On Sat, Sep 16 2017, Paul Hardy wrote:

> I was educated by some pretty old-fashioned American English teachers when
> I was a kid, but I have moved away from a lot of what they taught me.  I
> wouldn't recommend any change to make a document sound more stodgy or
> anachronistic.  Still, I do not think it has become correct to just have a
> space after "i.e." or "e.g." (although I was going to ignore that prejudice
> if it were applied consistently throughout the document).
> [...]
> Maybe there is an emerging convention to use nothing after "i.e." and
> "e.g." that I don't know about.

I am a current social sciences/humanities grad student, fwiw, and IME we
often use a comma, and often we don't use it, depending on context.

I general I would say that written English uses fewer commas than it
used to.  Society moves too fast for commas nowadays? ;)

> I was also going to edit comma splices.

This has not changed.  Patches to those sounds good.

> Incidentally, the Chicago Manual of Style always puts "i.e." and "e.g." in
> italics, because they are of foreign origin.  That's what I was taught when
> I was a kid, but I planned on just leaving them plain text (which is
> becoming more and more common).

That convention has definitely gone away.

Thanks for your review efforts.

--
Sean Whitton