Re: Debian Policy 4.1.0.0 released

Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:
> On 2017-08-21 14:35, Sean Whitton wrote:

>> 9.1.1
>>     Only the dynamic linker may install files to /lib64/.

> How is that supposed to work for the multilib glibc? For example
> libc6-amd64:i386 installs all its libraries into /lib64. We don't want
> to install these files in the multiarch path, as they will collide with
> the libc6:amd64 package. This is actually forbidden by the same
> paragraph of the policy (and that's a good thing).

> In the long term we should get ready of multilib now that we have
> multiarch, but it seems it's not something we are ready to do yet. I
> have added debian-gcc@lists.debian.org in Cc: as GCC is the main user of
> the multilib glibc.

Ack, thank you, we just didn't know about this and it didn't come up in
the discussion.  We can add an additional exception.  The goal here wasn't
to change any behavior of packages like that, only to keep ordinary
non-glibc, non-toolchain packages from using that directory because of
what Red Hat does or because of what the FHS says.

Would it resolve this to just make a general exception for libc?