Re: Using dh for debian-policy packaging

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:

> I can see advantages in both, but only as long as recursive make does
> not add duplication. But in this case this might be the way to go. Or
> perhaps move the subdocuments into the root dir?

> Another annoyance was the document specific version files. I think it
> would be nice to have just one common version.xml and one version.txt.

I'm leaning strongly towards just moving all the documents into the top
level and getting rid of the submakes, which will make the build system
easier and simpler and means we can use a single version.xml quite easily.
We'll need some additional rules for generating one-page HTML without the
-1.html suffix (which we should also do for upgrading-checklist and then
warn debian-www that we're changing its name) and not building the
directory of HTML, but that's straightforward and it can still share a lot
of the logic.

> Something else that might be worth considering is switching the debconf
> inclusions via ENTITY into proper XInclude's, like I did with the
> upgrading checklist. I think these would make the markup more clear.

Yeah, that's a good idea.