Upcoming Debian Policy 3.9.9.0 release

Okay, I've gone through all of the unclassified bugs and reviewed all of
the bugs that were tagged with patch, and I think I've merged all the
stuff that was obviously ready to go.  All of the bugs should now be
properly usertagged as well, so:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=yes&src=debian-policy

now looks quite a bit better.

Here's what I currently have going out in the next release.  I plan to
wait for the next upload of base-files with the MPL 1.1 and 2.0 licenses,
and then upload a new version of Policy, so that we don't get out of sync
on the common-licenses part.  If that turns out to not fit the timing for
the emacs transition, I'll have to figure out some other approach.

Happy new year!

  [ Andreas Barth ]
  * Policy: Add the MPLs to /usr/share/common-licenses
    Wording: Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
    Seconded: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Seconded: Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org>
    Closes: #768292
  * Policy: [5.6.12] forbid colons in package version numbers
    Wording: Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
    Seconded: Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org>
    Seconded: Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
    Thanks: Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>
    Closes: #792853
  * Policy: [4.3] update autotools during build time
    Wording:  Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>
    Seconded: Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net>
    Seconded: Andreas Barth <aba@ayous.org>
    Closes: #746514
  * Spelling fixes, thanks to Martin A. Brown. Closes: #820197

  [ Russ Allbery ]
  * Policy: [10.9] Don't contact base-passwd maintainer for dynamic users
    Wording: Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
    Seconded: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Seconded: Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <odyx@debian.org>
    Seconded: gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org>
    Closes: #841877
  * Policy: Document Build-Depends-Arch and Build-Conflicts-Arch
    Wording: Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org>
    Seconded: Stuart Prescott <stuart@debian.org>
    Seconded: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Closes: #823910
  * Policy: Add nodoc tag to DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS
    Wording: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Seconded: Johannes Schauer <j.schauer@email.de>
    Seconded: Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org>
    Seconded: Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org>
    Closes: #759186
  * Policy: Prohibit file conflicts between /bin and /usr/bin
    Wording: Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org>
    Wording: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Seconded: Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
    Seconded: Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org>
    Closes: #759492
  * Perl: Update module search path for multiarch support
    Wording: Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li>
    Seconded: Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org>
    Seconded: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Closes: #798309
  * virtual-package-names-list: Add httpd-wsgi3
    Wording: Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>
    Seconded: Brian May <bam@debian.org>
    Seconded: Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
    Closes: #768117
  * Move the description of < and > relations to a footnote to make
    abundantly clear that they're no longer valid relation operators in
    dependencies.  (Closes: #816515)
  * Clarify informative mentions of debian/tmp in the appendices to
    document the now-common use of debian/<pkg> instead as the temporary
    staging area.  Document that convention, instead of
    debian/tmp-something, for multi-binary packages.  Thanks, Niels
    Thykier.  (Closes: #816249)
  * Remove lingering wording that implied that build-arch and build-indep
    targets are optional.  Thanks, Ferenc Wagner, Jakub Wilk, and Charles
    Plessy.  (Closes: #793999)
  * Rather than giving the paths to the installed shlibs and symbols files
    and then saying those paths shouldn't be used, just say to use
    dpkg-query --control-show.  Recommend --control-show instead of
    --control-path, since the latter is deprecated.  Patch from Salvatore
    Bonaccorso.  (Closes: #688220)
  * Explicitly give Unicode code points in the definition of the syntax of
    Debian control files and, where appropriate, show the character.
    Patch from Ben Finney.  (Closes: #821365)
  * Remove obsolete footnote about a versioned dependency on a
    liblockfile1 release from 1999.  Thanks, Jakub Wilk.  (Closes: #794902)
  * Fix the long name of the Common Public License in the copyright-format
    policy.  It is just Common Public License, with no leading "IBM".
    Thanks, Stefano Zacchiroli.  (Closes: #781654)
  * Fix the copyright-format examples to not have duplicate License
    paragraphs.  Thanks, Stefan <bd@bc-bd.org>.  (Closes: #824922)
  * Replace reference to dbus-launch in the autopkgtest documentation with
    dbus-run-session.  Patch from Simon McVittie.  (Closes: #835876)
  * Add an example of an architecture restriction in a dependency with
    multiple architectures separated by spaces.  (Closes: #734662)
  * Change emacs build dependency to specify the major version instead of
    relying on metapackages, and stop using a versioned dependency on the
    emacs metapackage (which didn't do what was intended anyway).  Switch
    to Emacs 25 for the build.  (Closes: #849483)
  * Add some additional information to the upgrading-checklist entry for
    the 3.9.8.0 release.
  * Fix debian/changelog and upgrading-checklist dates for the 3.9.8.0
    release to match the actual upload.  (Closes: #822059)
  * Fix duplicated "the" words in 4.4 and 8.6.3.2.  Patch from Valentin
    Samir.  (Closes: #830989)
  * Compress all files with gzip -n to avoid embedding timestamps,
    enabling reproducible builds.
  * Switch to https URLs for Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser.
  * Use the same URL for both Vcs-Git and Vcs-Browser, which now works
    fine and has some advantages over the gitweb version for Vcs-Browser.
    Thanks, Mattia Rizzolo.
  * Run wrap-and-sort -ast.