Version number of a package providing virtual packages

Hello,

The policy stating ""...the version number of the concrete package which provides a particular virtual package will not be considered when considering a dependency on or conflict with the virtual package name."." does not make any sense to me.
It leads to absurd behavior from package managers (apt/aptitude) preferring to uninstall the most recent package providing some virtual packages for the benefit of older real ones.
An example of this behavior is detailed here.
Another argument is to point out that that policy prevents the consolidation of scattered packages.
I don't see a reason why it was designed that way in the first place.
Regards.
--
Jean-Christophe Manciot