Re: Possibility to install specific versions of Dependencies

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 06:35:34PM +0800, Allan Barola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a debian package for a local project. This package will only
> be available for private use. I would like to ask if there is a possibility
> to force install a dependency for a package using apt-get or any package
> management tool?
>
> For instance:
> package.deb
>       Depends: dependency (= 2.0)
>
> If you install this package using apt-get and there is an installed
> dependency with a later version for instance 3.0
> We would like apt-get to downgrade the installed dependency.
>
> Another is if dependency 3.0 is available in the repository, it will still
> install 2.0.

It does not work that way.
First, in general there is a single version of a package in the archive.
Secondly, all that you can achieve is to block the upgrade of dependency,
but apt-get will never downgrade package by itself.

Some packages names include the major version like 'dependency-2.0' and
'dependency-3.0' so that you can safely do Depends: dependency-2.0 .

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.