Re: package test images copyright

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:31:42PM -0500, Alan Pater wrote:
> A package I am looking at includes a folder of test images that have
> been submitted over the years by users to test features and report
> bugs. Should those images have any copyright notice or should they be
> considered in the public domain? I've looked through the Debian
> guidelines but am not clear how to apply them in this case. What is
> best practice in Debian for these cases?

Alas, this can only be decided as a case by case basis, but it is unlikely they
are in the public domain unless there is a clear statement to that effect.

In my experience with libjpeg, people seldom consider copyright when submitting
an image in a bug report, especiallly if they only provide an URL rather than
having the image as an attachment.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>