Re: developers-reference: Acknowledging NMUs (was: Debian Developer's Reference)

Hi!

On Tue, 2015-01-06 at 13:25:39 +0100, Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:
> I think in 5.11.4 the sentence
>
> "If you do not acknowledge the NMU by including the NMU changelog entry
> in your changelog,"
>
> can be misinterpreted.
>
> After some discussions it is consensus that all changelog entries must
> included.

I don't agree with this. If the NMU is not good, or I don't agree with
it, I'll not be including the changes in my VCS just to revert them,
nor I'll want to pollute the changelog with stuff that never made it in.

It's similar to what happens when you branch for experimental or
testing, some changes might never make it into the changelog if the
they do not percolate into that branch in the future.

For me, there's a difference between what went into the packaging
and what went into the archive, the former is in the VCS and
debian/changelog, the latter is recorded in the uploaded .changes
files found for example in the PTS.

> But in the sentence above is a choice implies.

As it should IMO.

Thanks,
Guillem