Re: where to maintain DEP8^W autopkgtest spec now

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 06:32:35PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli [2014-07-25 12:23 +0200]:
> > Antonio, would the approach/experiment proposed by Russ be good enough
> > to address your concerns? Personally, I'll be more than happy in moving
> > the autopkgtest spec to the policy repo, and having you and Martin Pitt
> > as both editors and committers for the spec (and possibly also Jakub
> > Wilk, as sadt author, if he is interested).
>
> That would work for me.

Great. So with both you and Antonio OK with the idea, I think we can
proceed (see below for a follow-up on collab-maint). And next action is
probably on me, to "import" the current DEP8 spec to the debian-policy
repo. Two questions for the debian-policy people:

1) are there strict requirements on the markup used? I speak docbook, so
   I can convert to that if needed. But if that is not a requirement,
   also keeping something simpler (e.g., markdown) would be nice. It'd
   also address Martin's concern about the markup.

2) should I send a patch against the debian-policy package, or would you
   prefer to give me commit access and I should just go ahead, informing
   this list when it's done (for review and the like)?

> I'd be equally happy to move the autopkgtest git to collab-maint, so
> that interested parties can edit it there, if that's any easier. I
> really like how collab-maint is being used today, and I don't have the
> impression at all that DDs go crazy and randomly break stuff in
> "foreign" gits just because they can.

I'm a big fan of *code* maintenance collab-main, and I do encourage the
active autopkgtest hackers to move the code there. But I think it's a
bad idea to have *spec* maintained in a very open/collaborative place
--- again, I think DEP5 has taught us a thing or two about that. YMMV.

> But I don't have a strong opinion on that matter, as long as we can
> agree to a reasonable source format (like ReStructured Text or
> Markdown, or something similar, not an XML docbook monster as source)
> and auto-convert them to nice HTML pages.

Let's see what's debian-policy people answer on this.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .