Re: DEP5 Files: paragraph with both abbreviated names and license paragraph

Klee Dienes <klee@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I’m helping a colleague with the packaging of the ‘hidapi’ package
> (http://mentors.debian.net/package/hidapi).

> In one of our Files: paragraphs, we have the following:

> License: GPL-3.0 or BSD-3-clause or HIDAPI
>  At the discretion of the user of this library,
>  this software may be licensed under the terms of the
>  GNU General Public License v3, a BSD-Style license, or the
>  original HIDAPI license as outlined in the LICENSE.txt,
>  LICENSE-gpl3.txt, LICENSE-bsd.txt, and LICENSE-orig.txt
>  files located at the root of the source distribution.
>  These files may also be found in the public source
>  code repository located at:
>         http://github.com/signal11/hidapi .

> (where each of the abbreviated names is specified in a separate
> stand-alone license paragraph).

You have hit a corner case that wasn't considered in the current
copyright-format 1.0 language.  The current document assumes that any
given license paragraph will be in one of two forms: a single-line field
that specifies a combination of licenses defined elsewhere, or a multiline
field that fully explains the entire license that applies to those files.

What you want to do is a hybrid: a License field that specifies a
combination of licenses defined elsewhere in the file *and* adds some
additional discussion of what that combination of licenses means and how
upstream specifies them.

Whether this is valid is really not addressed in copyright-format 1.0 by
my reading.  It's not clear that it's valid, and it's not clear that it's
invalid.  Lintian took a conservative interpretation.

My recommendation would be, for the time being, to write this as:

License: GPL-3.0 or BSD-3-clause or HIDAPI
Comment: At the discretion of the user of this library,
 this software may be licensed under the terms of the
 GNU General Public License v3, a BSD-Style license, or the
 original HIDAPI license as outlined in the LICENSE.txt,
 LICENSE-gpl3.txt, LICENSE-bsd.txt, and LICENSE-orig.txt
 files located at the root of the source distribution.
 These files may also be found in the public source
 code repository located at:
        http://github.com/signal11/hidapi .

and then retain all of the separate License blocks.  This is clearly
allowed by copyright-format 1.0 and should be properly parsed by Lintian
as well.

In the long run, I would be in favor of making your approach unambiguously
valid in a subsequent copyright-format 1.1 revision.