Re: Can debian/rules build target use precompiled object code in favor of building from source?

> In the specific case of smarty, the software appears to be under the LGPL.
> So it's a violation of the license for Debian to redistribute this without
> the complete source.

Sure, but I don't think that's what Thue was asking about.  The source is
there; it's just not used during the build.  This is akin to an upstream
that ships a *.y file and the bison-generated *.c file, and a package
build that uses the pre-made *.c file.  Not ideal, and I'm in the camp of
wanting to regenerate all such files during the build, but historically
we've allowed such packages.