Re: Built-Using, libgcc, and libc_nonshared

* Russ Allbery:

> Clearly no one else in the world is worrying about this; there's lots of
> GPLv2-only software out there and all the distributions are happily
> distributing binaries built with current GCC without worrying about this.
> I'm not sure to what extent we can use that as an excuse, though.

FYI, this is [gnu.org #435945], filed about three years ago.  I
haven't received any substantiated reaction from the FSF.

A similar thing must happened during the transition from GPLv1 to
GPLv2 and would still apply to GPLv1 software.

Nowadays, we could switch to compiler-rt after porting it to more
architectures.  Or we could branch the old version of libgcc with the
permissive linking exception and maintain that, asking subsequent FSF
contributors to relicense their patches under the old terms (which
they can do under their copyright assignment contract with the FSF, I
think).