Re: Removing obsolete configuration files on upgrade

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 12:03:53PM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> My hunch is to say that a package may remove /etc/greeting in this
> case but by no means should.  That is, something like the following
> but hopefully less awkward:
>
> 	Obsolete configuration files without local changes may be
> 	removed by the package during upgrade, and should be removed
> 	by the package during upgrade from the version before they
> 	were obsolete.
>
> What do you think?

What does "upgrade from the version before they were obsolete" mean?
Does this mean the stable version before they were obsolete?  Or any
version before they were obsolete?  Perhaps "during upgrade from a
version before they were obsolete" would be better?

More significantly, how does this suggestion help in your case?  It
doesn't seem to mention it; it only mentions the regular case.

   Julian