Re: obsolete conffiles: s/may/should/

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 17:12 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> do we have an estimate (via piuparts ?) on how many packages are
> failing to do that?

piuparts does test for this, some stats:

sid2experimental 23
testing2sid 12
squeeze2wheezy 209
squeeze2bpo2wheezy 36
lenny2squeeze 47

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=piuparts/piuparts.git;a=blob;f=known_problems/obsolete_conffiles_error.conf;hb=HEAD

Since the program 'adequate' appeared and supports checking for obsolete
conffiles we have been userttagging bugs and found a few of them:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org;tag=obsolete-conffile;archive=both

On my relatively recently installed machine there are 8 obsolete conffiles:

$ dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep obsolete | wc -l
8

On a machine that has been running for a few years with apt pinned to
experimental (then sid, testing), there are 59:

$ dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep obsolete | wc -l
59

On master.debian.org there is only one:

pabs@master:~$ dpkg-query -W -f='${Conffiles}\n' | grep obsolete | wc -l
1

So the vast majority of packages obey this suggestion.

> It looks to me that the removal would happen only if the packages are
> following the advices of http://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling
> (which now looks as simple as using dpkg-maintscript-helper via
> dh_installdeb).

Correct.

> Maybe a few rounds of advocacy for the tools above could be done
> before making the recommendation a "SHOULD" statement ?

While advocacy for removing obsolete conffiles, adequate, puiparts,
lintian and other QA tools is definitely a good idea, I don't think we
need to do that before changing policy. Raphaël Hertzog has done some
advocacy about removing obsolete conffiles in the past:

http://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/07/the-right-way-to-remove-an-obsolete-conffile-in-a-debian-package/
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/01/31/debian-cleanup-tip-1-get-rid-of-useless-configuration-files/

--
bye,