Bug#669915: debian-policy: §12.2 recommends possibly unneeded dependency (for Wheezy)
Le Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:33:38PM +0200, Niels Thykier a écrit :
> Policy §12.2 recommends the use of "dpkg (>= 1.15.4) | install-info"
> to smoothen updates from lenny.
> Given that Squeeze is out and "we" generally do not support "stable"
> to "stable + 2" upgrades, this recommendation is probably no longer
given that packages do not need to call install-info in their maintainer
scripts anymore, I think that the Policy can be even further simplified, like
in the attached patch (inspired from section 9.7 on multimedia handlers).
What do you (and others) think ?
Have a nice day,
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan
>From 57b0b21b324b0f75c90918991b92b9a17e2cf867 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Charles Plessy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:46:13 +0900
Subject: [PATCH] Simplify instructions about install-info as there is now a
policy.sgml | 26 +++++++++-----------------
1 file changed, 9 insertions(+), 17 deletions(-)
diff --git a/policy.sgml b/policy.sgml
index a41bc1f..1cb1150 100644
@@ -1330,9 +1330,7 @@ zope.
The package installation scripts should avoid producing
output which is unnecessary for the user to see and
should rely on <prgn>dpkg</prgn> to stave off boredom on
- the part of a user installing many packages. This means,
- amongst other things, using the <tt>--quiet</tt> option on
+ the part of a user installing many packages.
@@ -3969,8 +3967,7 @@ Checksums-Sha256:
Programs called from maintainer scripts should not normally
have a path prepended to them. Before installation is
started, the package management system checks to see if the
- programs <prgn>ldconfig</prgn>,
- <prgn>start-stop-daemon</prgn>, <prgn>install-info</prgn>,
+ programs <prgn>ldconfig</prgn>, <prgn>start-stop-daemon</prgn>,
and <prgn>update-rc.d</prgn> can be found via the
<tt>PATH</tt> environment variable. Those programs, and any
other program that one would expect to be in the
@@ -10496,19 +10493,14 @@ name ["<var>syshostname</var>"]:
- The <prgn>install-info</prgn> program maintains a directory of
+ The <package>install-info</package> package provides the
+ <prgn>install-info</prgn> program, which maintains a directory of
installed info documents in <file>/usr/share/info/dir</file> for
- the use of info readers.<footnote>
- It was previously necessary for packages installing info
- documents to run <prgn>install-info</prgn> from maintainer
- scripts. This is no longer necessary. The installation
- system now uses dpkg triggers.
- This file must not be included in packages. Packages containing
- info documents should depend on <tt>dpkg (>= 1.15.4) |
- install-info</tt> to ensure that the directory file is properly
- rebuilt during partial upgrades from Debian 5.0 (lenny) and
+ the use of info readers, using dpkg triggers. Programs using this
+ facility <em>should not</em> depend on, recommend or suggest
+ <package>install-info</package>. The file
+ <file>/usr/share/info/dir</file> must not be included in packages
+ other than <package>install-info</package>.