Re: [proposal] remove the requirement to compress documentation

> There's more than just my /usr. This system runs off a 160GB SSD, so
> 500MB is more like 0.5% of the available storage space here.

> 160GB is in the low end of the available storage of modern systems, and
> probably (gut feeling) about average of systems bought in the past few
> years (my three-year-old HP laptop came with a 160GB rotating disk).

Make that 40GB, not 160GB. Thats about the small end of storage you get
for new bought systems in the "Office PC" category. SSD. (and actually
more than enough for that type).

> People who use smaller disks are also likely to have less software
> installed[1], so the impact would probably remain around the same
> number.
> [1] At least I know that when my storage space runs out, my first reflex
>     is to run aptitude and remove all those old and silly things that I
>     installed once but don't really need anymore, rather than starting
>     to see which parts of my homedirectory can be moved off to an
>     external USB hard disk or some such.

Default set for those systems consists of nearly 2000 packages (Gnome,
KDE, XFCE, libreoffice). So users can choose.

>> Debian is used on small systems where users still like to have documentation, and
>> support zlib compression is almost universal.
> I would not have any objection against a tool which would compress files
> upon installation for those users who want it. But I don't think having
> to compress files inside the .deb package buys us very much anymore.

> As to your remark about small systems: these are either going to be
> embedded systems (where the better option is to use emdebian, and then
> this is a non-issue), or very old and slow systems (in which case you
> really really don't want to be adding more processor requirements to
> users in order to allow them to read anything -- and I know what I'm
> talking about here, I do m68k stuff).

Im not against dropping the compression inside the .deb, especially not
if we exchange it for such a tool configurable by admin.
I just disagree with your numbers above, a lot, false base IMO :)

--
bye, Joerg
The answer to life’s problems aren’t at the bottom of a beer bottle, they’re on TV.