Re: debian/copyright in case of multiple alternative licences

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012, Bart Martens wrote:
> I understand "its copyright information and distribution license(s)" as
> including all licenses, so that the user can still choose between the
> alternative licenses.  The packager should not choose for the user.

Sometimes we have to.  The source may be distributed with license choices we
cannot use for the binary packages, because of restrictions caused by
linking to libraries, or by the DFSG.

IMO, debian/copyright should reflect the licenses being used to distribute
the binary and source packages *by Debian*.

This is a somewhat uncommon case, though.  And I don't think many of us are
updating "GPLv2 or later" licenses to GPLv3 in debian/copyright when linking
to something ends up resulting in a GPLv3 application, for example.

  Henrique Holschuh