Re: [IANA #616232] Registration of text/vnd.debian.copyright: a media type for machine-readable copyright files.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

>> The syntax of the revision number needs to be specified: digits,
>> digits.digits, digits.digits-digits, whatever.
>
> Given that the current revision number is 1.0, and that I do not
> think that we aim at updating the format frequently, I propose
> the following:

>   Optional parameters:
>   revision - the revision number of the specification (digits.digits).

Yup, that looks right.

>> You should also specify if there are any privacy/integrity
>> considerations here. I rather doubt that privacy is an issue for this
>> type, but there may be cases where integrity protection is desirable.

> I propose to add the following paragraphs.

>   The comment or license fields may be used to quote discussions where
>   redistribution terms have been clarified.  There is no formal
>   mechanism to signal that a proper permission has been given to quote
>   the discussion if it was private.

>   The machine-readable debian/copyright file format does not feature
>   mechanisms to ensure the integrity of the file.  Consider using secure
>   transport when needed.

> I am not sure how the first paragraph is needed.  What do you think ?

I think that's an obscure enough case that it's not horribly important.  I
would just say something like:

    This media type has no special privacy considerations.

For the last, I would add "or a digital signature" after "secure
transport," since if Debian ever needed to guarantee integrity of the
file, that's probably the mechanism that we'd use.

Thank you for doing this work!