policy of freezing unstable when debian-testing is frozen

Hi all,
        Newbie here. I came to Debian about 6-7 months when in Debian
testing and unstable all were frozen as Debian Squeeze was to be
released. While I understood the reasons for Debian testing to be
frozen ( as in no new packages and only bugfixes to be entertained ) I
could not understand the reasons and motivations for freezing Unstable
as well.

Is there somewhere something written down for new as well as old users
to know why Debian freezes unstable while completing a development
cycle (till a year) .

While I'm fuzzy on the details I do remember it one of the many
reasons why Debian-CUT came into existence.
cut-team@lists.alioth.debian.org

I would very much like to know the above and if there is a move to
review that policy or do some improvements on the same.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल