Re: Updating the recommendations for user configuration files (Policy chapter 9)

On 19/05/11 19:30, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think it's going to be very difficult to do this through Policy.  This
> would mean Debian-specific patches to a *LOT* of software.  Usually we
> only put things like this into Policy once they're almost entirely
> adopted already, to clean up the stragglers.  The best approach with this
> sort of thing would be to try to convince upstreams first, so that Debian
> doesn't have to create microforks of practically everything.

It's only a recommendation, so we don't need to fork anything (and we
shouldn't). But the recommendation is already there, so changing it does no harm
(we're not going to change this downstream as we're not going to change software
that use different dirs than ~/.myprogram). Or if recommending the XDG directory
is bad not because the XDG directory itself but because we shouldn't be changing
this in Debian, I wonder how that is different to what Policy 9.1.1 currently
recommends :)

Emilio