Re: Updating the recommendations for user configuration files (Policy chapter 9)

On Thu, 19 May 2011 at 15:15:39 +0200, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) wrote:
> As you probably know, there is now a trend [2][3] of placing all
> configuration files into the same directory, which defaults to
> ~/.config/ but can be changed, as well as two separate directories for
> user data and recoverable/non-important data (~/.local/share,
> ~/.cache).

I'm broadly in favour of this, but for the data and config parts, just using
the new paths isn't enough - you also need to either migrate data/configuration
from "legacy" locations, or read both.

As a result, this change should happen somewhat carefully, and upstream-first.
(https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders is the equivalent of this
request for GNOME.)