8bit characters in files in Debian packages

Dear Developpers,

there are a small numbers of packages that ship files with non-7bit characters in filenames.
$ apt-file search -l -x '[\x80-\xff]'

aspell-ca
aspell-es
aspell-is
canorus
console-tools
dvb-apps
ggz-python-games
inorwegian
jpilot
lletters-media
otrs2
wnorwegian

So this raises two issues:
1) should non-7bit characters in filenames be allowed
2) if yes whould we require the filename to be in a correct UTF-8 encoding ?

I raise the question because I was trying to filter out popcon reports that include
non-7bit characters since it usually implies corruption of data, but this might not be the
case.

Also, it seems there is a tool out there that generate .deb packages with names like
designkit.702840f10216893fc3494b731e825b33666733d6.1
and filename that are all non-7bit. (probably in Japanese).

Cheers,
Bill.