Re: Effect of “should certainly do foo” in policy

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 11:19:33AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> Severity-wise, it's the same as "should."  Policy is not written in formal
> standards language, and certainly here has the normal fuzzy English
> meaning.  In the first case, for instance, I'd read it as an attempt to
> further explain what "brief" means, acknowledging room for disagremeent
> short of 80 characters.  For the second, the "almost certainly" is an
> intensifier on the certainty of the recommendation, but it's still a
> recommendation rather than a requirement.
>
> Anything about the one-line synopsis is, in practice, probably a minor
> severity bug even if it's over 80 columns, just because that's the bug
> severity used for documentation problems and things that are ugly but
> don't break the package.

There are package management programs that depend on the synopsis to be
short for proper display.  A 90 columns synopsis is probably a minor bug,
but a 200 column is probably at least "normal", a 1000 columns synopsis
is probably "serious".

> > If there's no normative effect, is it reasonable to ask for the sake of
> > clarity that these modifiers be struck from the wording?
>
> If the information they're communicating can be rephrased in some other
> way, sure.  (In other words, I disagree with simply removing the words.)
>
> The ideal solution would come as part of a general Policy rewrite to use
> more formal and precise language.

I am not sure this is desirable. The policy is a technical document and not
a legal document and should be easy to read. We should assume that developers
will interpret policy in good faith and not try to find loop-hole to justify
package brokenness. Making the policy language less natural will negatively
affect developpers that read policy to follow it in good faith.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.