Re: Source architecture field?

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 07:45:16PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 07:18 PM, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 16:25:35 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> >> In #509702, Philipp Kern says that a particular package's list of
> >> architectures should be specified in the source stanza of the control
> >> file, not in the binary packages' descriptions, to avoid any attempt
> >> to build the package on the rest of the architectures.
> > buildd should be looking at the Architecture field in the .dsc file,
> > not the debian/control file, AFAIK.
> >> While this sounds as a very sensible idea, is this actually allowed and
> >> used?  From the wording of Policy 5.2 it seems that the Architecture
> >> field is only allowed in the binary package paragraphs, and not in
> >> the Source one.  However, since I seem to remember some connection
> >> between Philipp Kern and the Debian autobuilders, I'm inclined to
> >> believe that he knows what he's talking about ;) and the autobuilders
> >> will actually honor a list of architectures in the source stanza.
> >> (A side point is that Policy 5.2 does not list other fields that it is
> >> possible to put in the Source stanza, like Vcs-*, but that's another
> >> kettle of beer)
> >> So... should Policy 5.2 also list Architecture in the source stanza,
> >> or should #509702 be closed with "unfortunately this is not allowed"? :)
> >> (of course, the former option would be preferable if it actually works :)
> > It's really not allowed, and dpkg-dev will just not honour it anyway,
> > so the bug report seems confused. I've CCed Philipp, as maybe the
> > report was about something else, and he wrote something different from
> > what he meant?
> Note that the .dsc file is part of the source package, so you probably
> misinterpreted what he said? I don't know the context of your question
> is, though it seems to me that you should specify in the control file in
> the architecture fieled of the binary stanza(s) on which architectures
> it should get built and not mention any architecture in a description field.

Yeah, what I really meant is basically having it in the .dsc and thus in the
source stanza as found in Sources.  In this case this doesn't work because
fenix-dev is arch:all.  If it wouldn't be then dpkg would propagate the
binary architecture list into the .dsc and the buildds would skip it.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern