Re: Priority dependence

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> [100718 19:30]:
> Ideally, it would be nice to be able to sort out packages by priority and,
> from that, build, say, a CD set of only the important and higher packages
> and know that it's self-contained.  In practice, I suspect that we have
> enough packages with problems here that you have to compute the dependency
> closure anyway, but insofar as priorities are useful for anything, I think
> that was the goal.

Calculating a dependency closure is neither an easy nor an task with
a well-defined outcome. Starting with more data makes that both more
easy and more likely to come to deterministic results (with a good
enough starting set, most dependencies will most likely already be in
that set, so the likelyhood to encounter virtual packages or or-ed
dependencies (especially those were different packages have different
first choices) is much smaller.

The difference between optional and extra is indeed mood today. But I
guess that is mostly because dh_make is making everything optional
instead of extra by default...

	Bernhard R. Link