Re: What defines the format of the NEWS.Debian file?

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 08:23:08PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am working on a package that triggers the Lintian tag
> ‘debian-news-entry-without-blank-line’. This prompted me to look
> for a formal description of the format of NEWS.Debian. The problem
> is:
>
>  - It is not documented in the Policy that changelogs must finish by an empty
>    line (and NEWS.Debian files are not mentionned at all),

NEWS.Debian is supposed to be in the same format as changelog.Debian.

>  - The Developer's Reference recommends to use dpkg-parsechangelog, and gives
>    an example that does not include a trailing white line, which is parsed
>    without warnings by dpkg-parsechangelog.

apt-listchanges is priority standard and dpkg-dev is priority optional,
so apt-listchanges cannot use dpkg-parsechangelog.
Beside devref is not normative.

>  - Lintian motivates its tag by the behaviour of apt-listchanges, but is
>    apt-listchanges normative for NEWS.Debian, or is it just a consumer of it?

Historically, NEWS.Debian was introduced to be used by apt-listchanges.
Since NEWS.Debian is not mentionned in policy, lintian is correct in
requesting that NEWS.Debian follows the format required by
apt-listchanges.

Whether this is a bug in apt-listchanges is a different question.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.