bug report for xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-686 (+policy issue)

Just came across an interesting install bug, that illustrates a potential class of gotchas to watch out for, that might want to be addressed in the Debian Policy (more at end).

I installed xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-686 on Lenny, using DRBD-backed disk volumes. And all worked fine when starting and stopping VMs manually.

The thing is, that the xen installer sticks S21xendomains into ../rc<n>.d - but DRBD doesn't initialize until later (S70drbd). Hence any virtual machines that are set for auto-start, or saved for auto-resume, fail during boot - they're looking for boot drives that don't yet exist.

The fix is simple, rename S21xendomains to S76xendomains (I put it after S75hearbeat as well, since I expect there might be some interactions there as well - that's what I'll be working on next - as you may surmise, I'm building a failover environment).

Seems like a fix should make its way into the xen distribution, or at least into the README.Debian. And it seems illustrative of a more general issue of initialization inter-dependencies - which really isn't called out in the Debian Policy section on initialization scripts.

Regards,

Miles Fidelman